Thursday, June 4, 2009

365 x 24 more



As I just passed the final birthday that I will enjoy in my twenties, I remembered talking to my mom some months ago and trying to describe what it felt like to be a twenty-eight year old and wonder what decisions about our everyday lives matter. These things don’t matter, she argued, all these things work out in the end… But, decisions that we make now do affect our futures, and I often get caught up in thinking about them to much. It makes more trouble than it’s worth, though. I’m done with it – decisiveness from here on out. If you think about it, people who make decisions, almost regardless of whether they’re good or bad, get further along in life. And, a decision, it turns out, often turns out to be the kernel of the plan in any case, since it allows to advance, to grow with the rest of the world. As birthdays so invariably remind us, it moves pretty quickly.


“But sometimes if you wait until you have your entire plan figured out and buttoned-up, the world will have moved on and passed you by.” – John Wood, Philanthropist extraordinaire, Room to Read

No comments:

Post a Comment